Tuesday, July 03, 2012
My sewing room is in our basement, its a large space but unfinished with the exception of the wall that my sewing machines are set up on. This is a working space and I didn't want to spend the money to finish it years ago when we built the house as there were too many other places that needed help at the time. Since then I've just become a custom to the "rustic" look and with everything at my fingertips I still see no need to throw $$$ at it to make it pretty. So as I show you my latest project keep in mind this ain't pretty but it sure does serve the purpose it was intended for.
The wall that my sewing machines are on is about 14', I went down to our discount cabinet store and bought some basic light oak kitchen cabinet towers to put on each end of the wall, in the middle I got an 8' ready made length of kitchen counter top and installed it between the towers. All I really needed, lots of storage in the towers and drawers underneath and a nice expanse of flat surface for my sewing machine, surger and of course Ms. Mangle . I put in a rubber floor to help keep my toes warm in the winter and to make it easy to sweep up scraps of fabrics and pins, on the opposite wall which is 20+ feet long are shelving units filled with all my craft supplies ready to be pulled out when the mood strikes me. The room has stayed this way for probably fifteen years.
A couple of months ago in one of those middle of the night sleepless "oh its your age honey" moments I decided to freshen up the cabinets by painting them white and to build a 12' long cubby cabinet connecting the two towers that would hold all my fabrics...and so it began.
The cubbies now stretch 12' from tower to tower and hold all my fabrics with room for more, I couldn't get a shot of the full length but I really do love the end result.
Again, I can't get the whole expanse in one picture so you'll just have to use your imagination to put the parts together. Although the pictures are a little dark the white paint has freshened up the room considerably.
This large kitchen cabinet which I had Mr. Hubby put on casters so it can be moved around the room as needed holds all my wrapping supplies along with a top large enough to cut out fabrics when needed.
So there it is my freshened up sewing room. The new cubbies have made a world of difference in the amount of space I now have, so next week I'll show you what I did with the found space.