Grace & Favor – A Life Worth Living

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Shades of a different color

I have a friend who has a wonderful chandelier that she has decorated with several different styles and prints of mini shades.  I've kept this idea in the back of my mind to try in my home and I've been on the lookout for shades as I travel to my local thrift shops but without any luck.

 As of last week my quest was complete and here is the results.


 While I was visiting another friend in Arkansas a few weeks ago I happen upon four country print red shades in a little shop.  All four of them were only $6 and they were in perfect condition so I picked them up as the start to my chandelier shade quest.


Then last week when I returned to Michigan I stopped at Tuesday Morning and boom there were a new shipment of mini shades just sitting there waiting for me.  I was so excited and the pricing was fabulous at $3.99 per shade.


The rooster shade just made my heart go pitter patter.  I love the washed out look and he looks perfect in my kitchen eat in area.  There were four of these available so I grabbed all four and really didn't feel guilty at all that I was depriving anyone else of these little gems.


Next to the rooster shades on the shelf were four of these french writing shades, at least I assume its french writing.  Anyway....the four red country shades plus the four rooster shades and these four french writing shades gave me the twelve shades I needed to complete my eclectic looking chandelier and I went skipping out of Tuesday Morning knowing these were looking to look great in my kitchen.

Because of the pop of red the chandelier looks great both during the day and also in the evening. This picture looks washed out but the patterns on the shades comes through clearly in person. 

Joining

18 comments:

Susie said...

Well what a clever idea. I would never have thought about mixing shades. I like it. Smiles to you, Susie(She Junks)

Dawn said...

OMG what a cute idea, and the shades are just the right amount of mixture to make it all work. I just love it. Very creative:)

Savannah Granny said...

This is soooooo neat. I just love it although I have never seen it before. That is what makes it so special. Love the rooster shades especially.
Thanks for sharing this clever idea.
xo Ginger

NanaDiana said...

Well, How cute is that! Love all your shades..the roosters are just darling. Can't believe the prices on those pieces. xo Diana

On Crooked Creek said...

Char,
Unique, whimisical...I like it!
I have two sets of chandy shades which I switch out from time to time...never thought of mixing them...time will tell! Cleaver, indeed!
Fondly,
Pat

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Char, This is such a great idea...love the look.
Hugs, Sherry

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I believe those red shades are Pierre Deux. I was never willing to pay the price for them. Love the roosters, too. Great mix. I lucked up on six shades at the Ballard's outlet at a dollar apiece, but not sure if I like them. Thanks goodness I didn't pay the original $18 apiece for them!

MGal @ WatchMeDIY.com said...

Oh my gosh! This would look so cute in my friend's French Country themed living room I am working on right now. Stop by and see the projects I've finished so far. Cheers, MGal watchmediy.com

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

What a cute idea, I love the look. So creative. You found just the perfect shades. Thanks tons for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

Entertaining Women said...

I love the mix of shades. In one of the guest rooms, I have a chandelier with an assortment of MacKenzie-Childs shades. They always make me smile. Thanks for sharing your new design. Cherry Kay

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

What a creative idea! I love the look! Plus, it's a great solution when you like a few different shades.

SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

I love this look- the mix of shades you chose is just perfect! You scored some great deals, too! :)

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Love the frenchy look on your chandelier. I am with Kim...I think the red ones are Pierre Deux and they were originally $24 each! Great find! Happpy week!...hugs...Debbie

Marlis said...

Ooh, love this. A lot. A really whole lot. I love mixing the shades and you found some fabulous ones to mix.. yes that is French writing.. great score.. Have a great week. xo marlis

Sue said...

Char- I really like this eclectic look you created for your chandy! the combination of all the patterns certainly lends itself to a Frenchy motif. I think a trip to my own TM is in order- I luv the ones with script o them. :-). Sue

Debbie said...

I can't tell you how much I love the look of this. It's really, really cute!

Grace Note Gifts said...

What a cute idea! So unique! Thanks so much for sharing!

Blessings, Grace

Linda (More Fun Less Laundry) said...

Your red shades do look like Pierre Deux, which is now out of business, and they were last selling for about $22.00 each, so you really found a treasure! They are perfect with the other shades! Very clever, Miss Char! Linda