Grace & Favor – A Life Worth Living

Monday, June 27, 2011

A Rustic Tablecloth

The top of my porch table is in need of a paint job because when I was staining the porch floor I spilled the better part of a gallon of stain on it. Roll eyes here and say a few choice words. I figured covering it up was the best thing to do until I got over the loss of the expensive stain AND the mess on the table.  I went back to Lowe's to buy another gallon of stain for the porch floor and a drop cloth to cover the table.  To get the size I needed for the table I had to buy a drop cloth that was much longer than what I needed so I cut it off and made a ruffle out of the leftovers.  I love the rustic look which I did on purpose as it just didn't seem right to take a drop cloth and try and make it into something fancy.


This is where I started with just an inexpensive drop cloth.  The extra fabric was tucked under as I decided what the drop would be.


Although my sewing machine has a nice rufflier and a basting stitch I did this by hand with dark thread so that I could make adjustments as needed.  I divided the tablecloth into 4th.'s and did the same with the ruffle.  I also used my surger to finish the edge of the ruffle, I wanted it to look a little rustic so I did this rather than a folded finished edge on the ruffle.


To try and make sure that the ruffle was the same all the way around the table I marked both the tablecloth and the ruffle with a blue sewing marker and then lined the two up as I pinned the ruffle on.


I really like the finished product and I'm glad I took the time to make the ruffle rather than just leaving the table cloth plain.


20 comments:

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Char, I love your new tablecloth and the ruffles are so cute! Sorry about the mishap with the stain. It could be worse..I spilled a small can of stain all over the tile on my kitchen floor.

Unknown said...

I love the way you think this is an easy, unfancy project. LOL. It's sooooo far beyond my talent level. Looks GREAT!!!

Debbie said...

Oh my goodness, I really do love the look of this. It reminds me of something from "Country Curtains".
It's terrific.

(And it wouldn't be "easy" for me with my skill level, which is nil.)

Cathy said...

Looks great Char!

Marlis said...

One drop cloth???? really. I have to go get one.. that is fabulous.. I am in awe.. Great great job.. sorry about the spill, but you got a great tablecloth out of it!! Many blessings, marlis

Anonymous said...


oh.. so nice post.)
Love your blog.))

I now spend a survey of bloggers with such questions.
1. Why did you create a blog?
2. For whom you taking him? Want to be popular?
3. How long will it keep going?

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

This is great, Char! I love the look to it and it just looks like it is so easy care, especially for Summer. Your ruffle looks great and I think that was definitely the way to go!

Tracy said...

Isn't dropcloth great? I love the ruffled tablecloth - what a good idea to cover up a mishap, and it will be really versatile to use for different tablescapes, too. Well done!

Heidi said...

I just love your drop-cloth turned tablecloth! Looks great! It would be perfect on our picnic tables, too. I've never sewn or cut drop cloth fabric, but now I'd really love to try! ~Heidi

southerninspiration said...

Char, that is adorable!! I love it!!
Suzanne

Paula@SweetPea said...

The ruffle does add the perfect touch to your tablecloth. This will be perfect for any season.

Sorry about your porch mess.

Farah said...

Hello Char... what a unique and new idea... lovely looks... So much thanks for sharing...

Visit me whenever you can
http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/
Love
Farah

Anonymous said...

Hi Char - pretty pretty pretty! I'd sure love to hang out with you on your back porch, looks fabulous :)

Dawn said...

very pretty, you did a fabulous job:)

Anonymous said...

How cute! I'd love it if you shared this with WorkShop Wednesday. It would make a great addition to the party!

. said...

I love the addition of the ruffle!! I wish I could sew. :( I want a table cloth like this for my craft show table. Yours is fantastic! :)

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

Lovely addition of ruffles! It looks so cute now. You are very creative and got a beautiful space here:)
Hope to see you on my blog:)

Savannah Granny said...

Love the tablecloth. The ruffle is just the right touch.I haven't gotten into the drop cloth thingie yet, maybe soon.

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Totally loving this tablecloth~ I am actually working on a similar one this weekend!! Thanks for the inspiration and for sharing this at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

Dumpster Diva said...

CUTE! Love the ruffles!