Grace & Favor – A Life Worth Living

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Button Shades

  I had an old tin box filled with buttons in a monocromatic cream and white collection.  They've been downstairs in my craft room for a few years and I wasn't sure what I was going to do with them until a few weeks ago.

 In a guest room I have a chandelier that is pewter and the shades that came with it were just the cheapy cream color with no style at all.  At some point in my winter funk I remembered the box of buttons and decided to embellish the shades.

This is the nondiscript type of shade that came with the chandelier  which by the way my friend Sharon picked up for me at a garage sale for $1.00!  The shade was $5.00 at Lowe's so I think I got a pretty good bargain on the chandelier.


I just used a hot glue gun to attach each of the vintage buttons.


This is the pewter night light at the side of the bed.




As I now see from the picture the chandelier could use a little straightening of the shades but it is what it is and I love the simple addition of the buttons to the bland shades.  I didn't want a lot of foo foo because this room just doesn't call for it but the buttons....I do like what they do for both fixtures.


I'll be joining Kim at Wow Us Wednesday


21 comments:

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Miss Char,
Your lamp shades are adorable. And I just LOVE them when the light is on. Such a great look. What a great way to display all of your fabulous vintage buttons too.
Yvonne

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Miss Char, those are so cute. Really adorable when the light is on. Thanks for joining WUW.

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

How smart! Those turned out so cute! laurie

Phyllis said...

Adding buttons to a shade is something that I would never have thought of.....and it is really cute. It adds a tailored decorative charm to the fixtures.

Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads said...

I think that it was so clever of you to think of buttons. This opens up so many possibilities, colors, etc. Thanks for sharing.
Jane
http://cottageatthecrossroads.com

On Crooked Creek said...

Miss Char,
Lovely shades on your chandy! The use of those vintage buttons adds a personal touch and floods of memories! Thank you for sharing a way of using meaningful items in our decor!
Fondly,
Pat

kara@elements-interiors.net said...

That is FAB!!! Come on ova' and link this pretty up at my Whassup Wednesday Linky...

*ENTER LINKY PAR-TAY Here! *


xoxokara

Cathy said...

Char, love the idea. Looks great!

Debbie said...

Oh my goodness, that's simple is SO CUTE! I am going to take a look at my own button box.

Rebecca said...

Oh my gosh. Those lampshades are amazing. You rock, Miss Char. You've inspired me.

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Miss Char, The shades are adorable covered in buttons. Very creative! Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful project at my new party.
Hugs,
Sherry

c.w.frosting said...

So adorable, especially when lit up! Love the creative use of buttons!

-caroline
http://cwfrosting.blogspot.com

Michelle said...

My goodness....those shades are buttontastic! Good job, girlie!

Designs on 47th Street said...

Char, this couldn't be cuter. Where do you come up with these fun projects? I love buttons and I love this idea.

Donna

Unknown said...

What a great idea. I really, really love the way the buttons look when the light is on...the variations are beautiful.

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hello Miss Char...

My friend, I would have never thought to dress a shade with buttons! What a GRAND idea! Ohh my...I think your pewter chandelier is gorgeous and I love the vintage button shades...it is perfect, my friend! Love, love, LOVE this idea! Thank you for sharing it with us...seeing your beautiful chandelier was a real treat! Thank you!

I also wanted to thank you for stopping by my place! I sooo enjoyed your visit and sweet note! Thank you, Miss Char!

Happy spring wishes,
Chari @Happy To Design

Donnie said...

What a great idea. I love how the chandelier looks too.

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Now this is just charming! Love this with the light shining through.

kara@elements-interiors.net said...

These are Cute as a "BUTTON"!

Thank you for linking this up to Whassup Wednesday! Hope to see you this week at my
Par-Taaaay!

xoxokara

Bevelry said...

too cute!

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

What a great idea. Love the buttons.