Grace & Favor – A Life Worth Living

Saturday, January 11, 2014

A White House



As I said in my last post winters are long here in Michigan and I try to embrace the clean colors of whites and creams when decorating the house.  Our home lends itself to fall colors so winter could be drab if a little punch of clean clear color were not added for the winter season.


 Out every window in our home we have beautiful views of fresh snows.  Unfortunately with the wind chills being well below zero the shots I've been taking have been from the comfort of inside.


I left the faux snow on the top of this candle holder that had been sprayed for the holidays.  Along with the twigs and greens of a leftover Christmas plant this setting gives our living room a little winter boost.


In our entry a tall two toned piece holds my display of white soup tureens.  This is a basic grouping that stays up all year round and acts as a staging background for add-ins depending on the season.  For this time of year I just leave the white pieces in place.


I do change out some of the artwork in the house for different seasons and this was what I had over the sofa for the holidays.  Since its still applicable for January and February I'll leave it in place until its time for something new for spring.  The white pillow was also left in place as it has a pretty snowflake pattern on it, this piece is special to me as it was from Dawn at Creative Cain Cabin.  Along with artwork I also change out some of the pillows around the house during the winter season.



On the mantel I still have a long garland of greens and pine cones along with a couple of small winter pictures tucked in the greens.



Even our dog Izzy fits well into our winter decor.


So my friends as I look out the window at another snowy day I wish you all a wonderful January day.

Joining
StoneGable for The Scoop
 The Dedicated House
A Stroll Thru Life
A To Z Tips & Tutorials
Savy Southern Style
Ivy & Elephants 

9 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Miss Char-It looks just lovely at your home. I finally took the last of my Christmas decorations down. Whoops-lied- Just remember I have the little pink tree up in the girls room....may leave that up for Valentine's Day!

Love all your whites, Char-even a white dog-lol Have a great cold, wintry Michigan Saturday- xo Diana

Dawn said...

Char, I am so bummed about all this rain we are getting, it is turning the pretty snow to a soupy mess. I don't think I have ever seen the piece with all the white soup tureens it is a beautiful display. I try to only buy white in pieces like that too, they get more use that way. Thanks for showing my snowflake pillow, I have mine on my porch right now :)

Dawn said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Debbie said...

I really do love your cozy winter style. For years, I just "endured" winter and didn't embrace it with decorating. That would be yet another benefit of blog land to me: I have been inspired to switch things up more for the seasons.

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Such beauty!! I do love white and always have! It's odd that I didn't end up decorating with it. I remember dressing my little boys in "white Levi's" when those came out and would wash their white tennies every night, hang them over the wall heater on clothes hangers so they would be dry by morning for school.
I LOVED white. Dressing children in white was folly!! LOL I was young is my only excuse and no, I didn't expect them to stay clean. :)

Lisa Lewis Koster said...

I'm also from Michigan, and am grateful for the break in the weather, temporary as it may be. I love looking at homes decorated for the season, something I'm just not good at. It seems I either forget to put things up (like that fall wreath I keep finding at Christmas) or take them down (like the wall hanging that's up all year while the rest of them hang in the closet.)

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

I enjoy the winter scenes but I do like a punch of color inside. Your picture of the skater is really neat. We had some warm weather and a lot of snow melted but today we're under a winter weather advisory that's scheduled to start later today. Stay warm!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh I love your white and creams and your vignettes are so pretty. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

Jeannie Marie said...

As a former Michigander I can appreciate the longer winter and snow filled views from the windows. Your pops of color are charming!