Grace & Favor – A Life Worth Living

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Update on Porch Chairs

I finished the chairs (at least for now) a couple of weeks ago.  I may add either a cushion or a painted seat to them later this summer but for right now I'm enjoying the simplicity.

I decided to give an idea I saw on Pinterest and fell in love with.  It was so simple to do and gave the chairs just the little boost I was looking for.

I started with a Martha Stewart stencil of a bee.


 Next was the recommended vinyl spackling.


The process is so easy, I just found the center of the chair back and aligned the center of the stencil on the chair back.  I didn't bother to tape the stencil down as mine was so small but if you are using a larger stencil I would recommend using some painters tape to secure it to the chair. Using a 2" spackling knife I laid down a layer of spackling, how thick a layer is a matter of preference. My first try proved to be a littler more pronounced than I wanted so I just scraped off the spackling and started again.


After the spackling had dried I knocked down the sharp edges with a little sandpaper and then just did a dry brush technique with the same color of paint as the chairs were.  The results are very muted but just what I was looking for.
 

 As I said for right now I'm just using pillows as accents but may add a little something to the seat later.


Next is the table, its finished and I'm in love with it. Again, it was an idea from Pinterest, so many talented people out there and so little time to try all the wonderful ideas.

Joining
WOW us Wednesday
Tips and Tutorials
 Open House Thursday
Scoop Link Party
Blue Friday
Throw Back Thursday 

7 comments:

Sonia said...

What a cute project...nice touch! Love it!
Miss Bloomers

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

I love this idea. You make the best stuff!

Debbie said...

Oh my goodness, I LOVE THEM!! I have wanted to do the spackle stencil thing for a while but haven't done it. I want to do it even more now.

Love, love, love!!

Designs on 47th Street said...

Just lovely Char. You know what I like too? The fact that you actually try projects and not just pin them! ;)
Donna

On Crooked Creek said...

Miss Char,
I'd say these chairs are "the bees knees"!!! I adore the subtleness of each bee backed chair!
Amazing transformation!!!
Fondly,
Pat

Rettabug said...

Hey, color me impressed! Well done...it looks like it was always there as part of the chair!

Beverly@southernhomesweethome said...

That is awsome! I love it ..