I decided to give an idea I saw on Pinterest and fell in love with. It was so simple to do and gave the chairs just the little boost I was looking for.
I started with a Martha Stewart stencil of a bee.
Next was the recommended vinyl spackling.
The process is so easy, I just found the center of the chair back and aligned the center of the stencil on the chair back. I didn't bother to tape the stencil down as mine was so small but if you are using a larger stencil I would recommend using some painters tape to secure it to the chair. Using a 2" spackling knife I laid down a layer of spackling, how thick a layer is a matter of preference. My first try proved to be a littler more pronounced than I wanted so I just scraped off the spackling and started again.
After the spackling had dried I knocked down the sharp edges with a little sandpaper and then just did a dry brush technique with the same color of paint as the chairs were. The results are very muted but just what I was looking for.
As I said for right now I'm just using pillows as accents but may add a little something to the seat later.