Grace & Favor – A Life Worth Living

Friday, August 31, 2012

Estate Sales

I don't go to a lot of estate sales, my preference is more in the Goodwill, Salvation Army realm but for some reason this summer I've had some luck finding good buys at a few estate sales. The estate sale I went to on Monday touched me in a way that I hadn't experienced before; it was the sale of a dear couple that I knew. I have to say as I walked through the house looking at all they had collected and held dear over the years I could still see the excitement and pride they had held for their collections and decorating style over the years.
I love bunnies and this sweet little guy sat on their front porch, he now has a happy home on my front porch.
Fred passed away a few years ago and Betty has continued to live in their home with all their treasures until recently when her health took a turn, she now lives with her daughter and had to leave behind her treasured home. This crock was ordered from the decorating store I worked at nearly thirty years ago, the same place I first was introduced to Fred and Betty. I'm glad to have it sitting with a few other crocks that I had custom made from Rockdale, with their name on it I'll always be reminded that we find friends in many different place. I hope to send Betty a note soon to let her know that a few of her treasures are now in my home and I'll keep them in a special place in my heart for all that they did for me when I first discovered the warm country decorating style that they were so passionate about.
At the last minute I saw these two biscuit cutters on the kitchen table and thought about how much Fred loved strawberry shortcake, I just had to bring them home with me. I have to say I didn't buy many things at the sale but the ones that I did I'm so pleased to have as reminders of a great friendship. I'm off to another sale today, second day as I didn't want anything I saw in the advertisement enough to pay first day pricing. It’s on the lake shore so after the sale I'll spend a couple of hours enjoying a late summer day in the sun and sand on Lake Michigan. I will be much less involved emotionally with the sale today as I don't know those who's treasures are being sold but I know someone who has attended will undoubtedly feel the same way about this home as I did when I walked into Fred and Betty's on Monday.

6 comments:

Dawn said...

Great treasures. You will have to show us your porch with the rabbit on it now. You can never have to many crocks. Have a lovely weekend:)

Susie said...

It breaks my heart to hear of wonderful neighbors passing away or having to leave the homes they created and raised families in. I am so glad that you bought some things to keep for them. Smiles, Susie

On Crooked Creek said...

Miss Char,
Touching! Precious story of your dear friends! I know the owner would be comforted knowing that someone she knows cherishes those things as she does. Written correspondence is nearly a lost art. She will cherish your hand written note, dear friend! Thank you for this post!
Fondly,
Pat

Debbie said...

You are clearly drawn to the same kinds of things that I am, and the fact that you actually knew the couple who treasured them makes it all the better. I realize this is late for a comment and you may not see it, but I've been AWOL dealing with an unexpected personal problem.

This is the first morning in weeks that I have ventured into blog land.

Anonymous said...

Sad to hear that their treasures went to an estate sale. I still use a small table that Fred built for me.

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

That's a wonderful story with a happy ending! I love that you were a part of their life and were able to take something home to remember them by. My mom is 90 now and we've been keeping her going at home by herself for along time but it's becoming a lot harder. The thought of being removed from her things really upsets her and we understand. I think we're going to let some family drop in and take some momentos when the day comes and then have an estate sale. I'm sure she will love your letter.