Grace & Favor – A Life Worth Living

Monday, January 16, 2012

After the Party

It was a very busy day on Saturday in preparation for my mom's birthday party.  My niece was good enough to snap some pictures for me.  Thank goodness she and my friend Sharon were there to help set up or I'd probably still be working.  It was a beautiful snowy day and my mom really enjoyed herself.


I sure hope I can look this good and be as sharp as my mom is when I'm ninety!


I had planned to do cupcakes for the party but my mom wanted a sheet cake instead.  We had the cake made at Sam's Club.  I have all the equipment myself to make cakes of any size and shape but I really think Sam's has a good tasting cake and butter cream so all I had to do was to pull out my cake Cricut cutter and cut out some snowflakes from fondant to go with our winter snow theme.  It was my first time at using the machine and with a little practice I think I can get the hang of it.


I sprinkled some edible glitter on top of the cake and it did sparkle with the sun coming in the windows.




While I was at Sam's Club I found this beverage server, I have some nice glass ones that I use for home parties but for a large crowd this did the trick and it was only $20!  Its made of plastic so its not as pretty as a glass one but the bottom lifts off and you can put any sort of decorations in it that you like.  I used some fake snow and styrofoam balls that pretty much looked like snowballs for this party.  There is a cylinder in the middle that holds the ice so your beverage doesn't get watered down as the ice melts.  All in all I thought it was a pretty good vessel for this type of senior citizen party.


Speaking of senior citizens, there were lots of them at the party on Saturday.  I think they all had a great time and enjoyed the luncheon.


Each table was set with a container of twigs that I painted white and then rolled in epson salts to make it look like they were covered with snow.  I added one peacock blue bird to each of the arrangements and that was the only color on the table.  The room has lots of windows and the snow was beautiful but unfortunately the view was of the parking lot.


You can catch a glimpse of the small silver frames that I had on each table from this shot.  I went through our old family pictures and pulled out a bunch of my mom when she was younger along with some taken in the last twenty years or so and printed them in black and white.  I think everyone loved looking at the pictures of her from when she was a young woman.

At the end of the day everyone left with a special wish for mom and a great memory of our small family all together to celebrate her special day.

Show and Tell Friday 

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Just perfect in every way!!!

Paula@SweetPea said...

You did a wonderful job! The tables look beautiful and I love the glitter on the cake and the snowflakes. (I love a Sam's cake, btw!)

Your mom looks young for her age!

Debbie said...

That's you mom? The ninety year old? She looks wonderful and just plain beautiful.

If I could look that good at 70, I will do a dance.

I'm so glad that it all went well and you (and mostly she) had a good time for her birthday.

Tricia said...

Oh, thank you for sharing all the details! Your mother looks way too young to be 90! The tables looked beautiful with the sparkly branches and the little favors you made. I know all the guests were delighted to enjoy celebrating in such a pretty setting.

southerninspiration said...

Looks GREAT!!! I know she loved it!
Suzanne

MulticoloredPieces said...

Wow! Your mom rocks!
best, nadia

Rebecca said...

I just love the winter theme. I especially love the beautiful cake, and the centerpieces. I know your mom felt very special on her special day.

xinex said...

Happy birthday to your mom. What a wonderful party. Everything looks so beautiful especially the cake and your mom....Christine

thistlewoodfarm said...

Happy birthday to your mom! Congrats on such a fabulous party! I love the centerpieces!

Have a blessed and wonderful day!
karianne

PS Thank you so much for the supportive comment on my blog!

Rettabug said...

Happy 90th birthday to your Mom, Miss Char!!! She looks beautiful, with her pretty corsage on her pretty suit.
You did a FANTASTIC job on the decorations for the party. I'm VERY impressed with how cool the cake turned out. I had no idea you could cut fondant with the Cricut. I don't have one....YET!!

The favors, the branches with the blue bird, the little framed photos....all wonderful touches that made the day very special for her, I'm sure.

BRAVO!!!

fondly,
Rett