Grace & Favor – A Life Worth Living

Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Last one to the rodeo

Yup, raising my hand as the last one to jump on the horse that is the sheet music wreath.  They have been around blog land for some time and I've had the project in my mind since the very first one I saw.  I won't repeat the dozens of tutorials out there explaining how to make one of these beauties.

Last night while I was watching a movie I rolled the individual pages from an old book I picked up at GW.  The pages were already aged so I didn't need to do anything but rip them out of the book.  I could hear librarians everywhere screaming as each of the pages gave its story to complete my wreath.

It took me about an hour or so this morning to glue each page into the small six inch foam wreath form I picked up at the Dollar Store.  I thought it was going to be too small but as you can see the finished wreath stretches across my door so I'm glad I didn't go with the bigger is better theory I usually conform to.


The pages had print and illustrations, some of the pages in this picture make it look like there are voids but I can assure you the pages are crammed in tight and there are no voids.  I do however in examining this picture see that at the top there is a small area that needs a longer page added to balance it out, I'm going to head to the craft room and add a couple of more pages to the wreath to balance it out.  Its amazing sometimes how something looks perfect until you take a picture and then you see its flaws.


As I pulled the pages out some of them curled when they left the binding.  I love the look of imperfection, from a distance the wreath kind of looks like sea shells.


This is a side view which really shows how the pages had yellowed over the years.  Can you tell I'm in love with this project?

32 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Wow! That looks great. You are NOT the last one to the rodeo. I haven't made one yet either!;>) I see that one little spot you are talking about..but the thing is danged near perfect. You did a great job! xo Diana

Paula@SweetPea said...

Nope. You're definitely not last to do this project. It's been on my mind for a while, too.

I love your version! It looks like a big flower to me. I like the yellowed look of the pages that make it look vintage.

Veronica said...

I like your one which is a bit different from the one on my own "to do" list! Very nice indeed!

Veronica
Tassels Twigs and Tastebuds

Debbie said...

Nope. You are not the last one in Blog Land to do this. I've been seeing them for ages too, and I keep planning to try it.

Yours looks fabulous!!

Sonny G said...

you did GREAT~!! seriously GREAT~!
I love how yours turned out. Isnt it wonderful how regardless of how many have been done, each is amazing and unique to the creator..

Designs on 47th Street said...

Char! It turned out great!! Now I am the only one who hasn't made one of these! Where did you hang it? GREAT job Lady!
Donna

Unknown said...

Love your wreath-so cute! I'm your newest follower!! Stop on over to visit!

Sue said...

Char, I think that these wreaths will stay popular for a while longer, so you're definitely not late to the party! I only made my first wreath in the spring and I burned my darn fingers so many times making mine- how about you? :-)

Rebekah Greiman said...

This is so cool. I love this paper wreath! Found you through HOH. Stop by my site if you have a chance and want to meet a weirdo-www.potholesandpantyhose.com.

rocketmom1985@gmail.com said...

This is beautiful. I am paper challenged so can you describe how you made the individual pages, I guess I am asking how you folded them. They looked like cones?

I just love it, and no, as noted above, you are not alone in being the last one to make a wreath!

Mandy said...

Beautiful!! So glad I followed you over from Crafty Soiree!

Come visit sometime.
www.projectqueen.org

EvA. . . said...

very pretty! Good job!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Oh, Char! It's lovely! I love the yellowed edges! Hope you are having a great week!...hugs...Debbie

Erin of Salvaged Whimsy said...

I love this more than the other wreaths because you filled in the center....it kind of reminds me of a mum flower. Very unique and it just makes me happy!

Highpoint Circle said...

Your looks very beautiful and different--more refined--than some I've seen. I love them too.

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Char, The wreath turned out wonderful. It does look like seashells. Thank you for linking to the Open House party.
Hugs,
Sherry

marieDee said...

Love your wreath! I was eager to see how you "aged" the edges so perfectly....nice that nature did it for you!

I'm a librarian who loves this use of old books, by the way.

Amy@HomeRemediesRX said...

This looks so pretty! I have yet to make one of my own... but you've definitely inspired me to get busy!

Pia @HiddenCharm.net said...

Love the way yours turned out! I haven't made one, either... yet. It's on my to do list, though!!!! you inspired me :) happy weekend....

fromgentogen said...

This looks beautiful, now it is on my project list! Thanks for sharing, Becky

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

It's gorgeous- love how your wreath turned out!! I haven't made one yet either- gotta get on it! Thanks for linking up at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

Unknown said...

I love it! I've been seeing these around blogland and haven't made one yet. Yours is beautiful.

Bonnie ~ a wee Meenit said...

yeah, I have yet to make one!! I like yours the best, it looks like a flower to me, very pretty! Stopping by from the Shabby Creek Cottage!

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Miss Char, You are not the last to get on this bus... I am. BUT your wreath is so beautiful and you made it look so easy, I am going to give it a try and put it above my piano for Christmas!
Beautiful!!!!
Yvonne

Brandi said...

Your wreath is gorgeous! You did such a beautiful job! I love how full it is!

Just Jaime said...

Looks so cool! Love how full it is!

Unknown said...

I love, love, love this!!!

Anonymous said...

I made two of these wreaths this week but neither turned out like yours. I love that it looks like a chrysanthemum, which I hope I just spelled correctly. It's beautiful!

Mimi said...

Simply beautiful wreath!

Anonymous said...

I've been wanting to make one of these. Yours turned out great!

Shannon in Alaska said...

I love how yours is like a mum as previously mentioned. I know you said there are a few tutorials out there... could you point me to the one that describes how you did the mum shape instead of the standard 3-level wreath?

Thank you muchly from snowy Alaska!
Shannon

Miss Char said...

Shannon, this is the tutorial that I used as a guide to make my wreath:
http://livingwithlindsay.com/2009/11/librarians-please-avert-your-eyes.html

I just didn't stop when I got to the center as this blogger did, I actually continued to glue the book sheets until the middle was filled. Also I folded my pages to make a pointed cone. Hope this helps.

It will be snowing here in Michigan by days end too. Loved Alaska when I visited this summer. Thanks for stopping by, sorry I couldn't just email this to you but I don't see an email address on your site.