Grace & Favor – A Life Worth Living

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Update on Summer Project and Repair

Earlier this summer I posted about using Command Strips click here to hang a picture and a clock on my porch wall.  This particular wall is the outside of our house and I knew that Mr. Hubby would have a fit if I were to put a hold in the siding to hang my treasures from.  In came the Command Strips and all was right with my world.  The picture still hangs today but the clock held about three weeks before the Command Strip failed and the clock fell.  The good news was nothing was broken, I took out a new Command Strip and tried again thinking it must have been the application as the clock isn't any heavier than the picture but within a few days the clock was down again.

Now I'm not the brightest bulb in the package but I knew better than to tempt the fates with another try so the clock has sat on the floor for awhile.  Yesterday I had one of those "craft moments" and came up with an idea based on a project Dawn at Creative Cain Cabin had posted.  She had made a wonderful message board out of a ceiling tile.  From her idea came an idea to get my clock back in working order on my porch.

I had a easel that was just gathering dust, and a 24"X24" tin ceiling tile stacked with some other treasures on the porch.  I came up with the idea of using a stretched canvas of the same size to put this project together.  I went to HL to pick up a stretched canvas but the one they had available in the 24X24 was $35.  Not gonna happen so I picked up four stretch bars at $1.79 each and made my own along with some leftover drop cloth that had been an attempt at a table runner (another day's story).

After I stretched the fabric over the stretcher and added a center bar for support on the backside I nailed the tin ceiling tile to the stretcher.  This gave everything stability, I added a screw to the center of the framework to hang the clock from and here is my finished project.  I may change the color of the ceiling tile eventually but for now I at least can tell what time it is as I sit on the porch dreaming of other projects.


Joining


8 comments:

Dawn said...

Love the ceiling tile clock. I have not had good luck with the command strips either unless the item is really light. Thanks for sharing:)

Micupoftea said...

where there's a will, there's a way! Clever girl :) Love the easel and clock. :)

Unknown said...

Perfect solution!!!

Debbie said...

I haven't had good luck with Command Strips either! I love this solution. I think ceiling tiles are just begging to be used in decoration. There's just something about the look of them that I like.

On Crooked Creek said...

Miss Char,
This is lovely, creative and inspirational! Time flies. . . when you're on the porch!
Fondly,
Pat

Marlis said...

Love the look. Not sure I would paint it.. it looks great. What a wonderful idea.. I love my command strips and use them all the time, work.. home. but I really do let the one one the wall cure a bit and the hang stuff. I think it says that, or am i dreaming.. Glad the clock wasn't broken, it's a cutie.. xo marlis

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

I had a disaster at Christmas thanks to the Command Strips. I love the easel and this was the perfect solution.
xo,
Sherry

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

What a charming little clock and great solution!Thanks for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday! :)