Grace & Favor – A Life Worth Living

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Window Seat

Well sadly most of the pictures of this project that documented it's metamorphosis were lost when my computer crashed but I do have these two....one with the project in process and the other the finished project.

I had this dead space at the back of our living room that I could never seem to get furniture placement correct in.  After years of shoving every piece of furniture imaginable around to try and make this area "work" I decided it was time to do a built in.  The cabinets are stock kitchen cabinets that I picked up at a big box store and with a little ingenuity I got them to fit the two walls between the double windows to perfection. I just built the shelving units on top of each of the base cabinets with MDF and painted everything a soft white. I love having the extra storage so close to our dining area. The cabinets under the window seat have ample storage for my silver and some of my glassware. The window seat also gives us extra seating when we have more guests than can be accommodated at our dining table. The ceiling beam looks like it's right against the built in because of the angle I took the photo from, its actually about four feet in from the shelving. All in all this was probably one of the most practical building projects I've ever done, I think the cost for everything involved came to about $300. 



Please ignore the furniture piled up in the foreground.

              Please join me for Metamorphosis Monday with

10 comments:

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

This came out so great! We have 2 spots in our house where I want to add window seats. I can't wait to work on it.!

Donnie said...

I just love what you did there. I could curl up and enjoy a good book in that special place.

Nancy said...

Excellent. Very impressive solution.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Love your windowseat. It looks fabulous, and all the bookcases are stunning also.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with for TTT. Just show a vignette, a table top, a gift, just anything goes. What ever you want to share. No rules. Hugs, Marty

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

I have always loved window seats and yours looks wonderful! All the extra storage has to be a big plus.
Hugs,
Sherry

Karena said...

There is something so wonderful about window seats!!

Picture reading with a cozy wrap and a book!

Happiest of Holidays & All the Best in the New Year!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

foreverdecorating said...

I think you solved your problem beautifully and usefully. Great Job. Terry

Gillian Layne said...

Oh, I'm in love! What a smart, beautiful solution. I'd dearly love to do this in the dining room. Who doesn't love a charming window seat, and who couldn't use more storage? I'll be showing this post to my husband. :)

Lyndsay Wells said...

I'm with everyone else - I love what you've done! Just stopping by from Between Naps on the Porch and to comment.

Kelly J/Hunters Hill said...

Char, I am REALLY impressed, and you make it sound so simple and easy which I know it probably was not !

GREAT job .....