Grace & Favor – A Life Worth Living

Friday, October 22, 2010

Going to the Orchard

I live in the middle of a fruit belt and right now the fields are filled with pumpkins and apples.  Honeycrisp apples are my favorites for eating and a mixture of Courtland and Mac's are my favorite for baking.  As for pumpkins I love them all but  the Cinderella pumpkins always make me smile. They just appear to be so elegant, at least in the pumpkin world.  They didn't have any Cinderella pumpkins at the orchard today but did have some large ones sitting out in front of the bakery. These of course aren't the enormous ones that you see at contests but for farmers who's main business is apples not pumpkins I thought they were pretty impressive.


So I was lucky enough to get to the orchard before the lines were 200 people long waiting for cider and donuts to take home.  I love the fresh pumpkin spice donuts with sprinkled sugar and cinnamon and of course fresh cider.  Today the bakery part of the barn smelled like fall. The donuts were still warm so they couldn't close the top on the donut box because of the steam from the warm donuts.  I then moved over to the other side of the barn to pick up some cider, they were pressing and filling the jugs just as fast as they could, as they filled the gallons of ciders were disappearing from the counter by everyone waiting in line for that fresh taste of fall.  I was lucky to get away with a dozen donuts and a gallon of cider for Mr. Hubby. 


Buses of elementary school children visit the orchard in the fall on field trips.  The inside of the little bakery/restaurant is filled with thank you drawings from the children.  Our orchard has hayrides through the orchards with big beautiful Belgian horses pulling the wagon.  Very picturesque this time of year.




The centerpiece for the orchard is this large apple.  It stands ten or twelve feet tall and the kids just love to play around it.  There are lots of picnic tables where families can sit down to enjoy their cider and donuts fresh from the bakery. I had stopped to take this picture a few days earlier as on a weekend it is swarming with children.

7 comments:

Rettabug said...

What a lovely way to celebrate this Autumn season & get to enjoy the fruits & the colors that make it so special! It sounds very much like our trip with the grandkidlets last week...only they didn't get to see such an awesome horse! Beautiful!!!

Its 4 am here & you've made me hungry for donuts, ya' know! LOL

Paula@SweetPea said...

It looks like you had a lovely day to visit the orchard. I'm due to go back because I'm down to my last few Fujjis. I am not sure that Honeycrisps are grown around here. I'll have to check on that. Have a great weekend!

Rebecca said...

I love the orchards near my house too. It looks like you had a lovely day. Great photos!

Michelle said...

It looks like a perfect Fall day to me! The smells of fall are so heavenly!!!

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

Yummy....Pumpkin spice donuts. I have never tried them but I like the sound of them. I think you have captured the wonderful Fall season.
Pumpkins, cider and beautiful orchards. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Mmmmmm, Honeycrisps are my favorites and I've eaten my fair share this fall.

Cathy said...

Wow, those are some big pumpkins! Cider and donuts, yum.