Grace & Favor – A Life Worth Living

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

My New Best Kitchen Friend

Kuhn Rikon Dual Slicer Vegetable Board - K38069I have to tell you that while channel surfing a couple of weeks ago I stopped by QVC to see what was up with In The Kitchen With David.  I don't often go to QVC because I have no control or filters for purchasing products on the internet, that evening was no exception.  I saw this great looking grater/slicer being demonstrated and thought "I must have that".  Of course I didn't expect it to work as well as the dude hawking it on TV was demonstrating.  I knew I'd be disappointed once again and not order on the internet for awhile as I decided whether to donate my latest acquisition to GW.

To my surprise it is a fabulous kitchen gadget, works just like it was advertised and isn't bulky to keep handy in the cupboard.  I love the fact that the slicing or grating is duel action.  As you run your veggies, cheeses, etc. across either of the blades it works as you push and pull back.  I could believe how quickly I had potatoes sliced for scalloped potatoes for dinner.  And onions...oh my they were sliced so thinly and uniformly I didn't even have time to cry.

Here is a link to QVC's listing for this grater/slicer: Kuhn Rikon Dual Slicer.  Oh and in case you are wondering if I was compensated for recommending this project the answer is NO.  I am a tiny little blog that absolutely no company has ever heard of.

So as I said I was making scalloped potatoes that evening.  I looked up a recipe on the internet as I didn't have one that I was happy with. This is the recipe I decided to try Southern Scalloped Potatoes and I'll definitely use it again, the only adjust I had to make as adding additional milk to the besamel to thin it out a bit.  I also added some very thinly sliced onions and chunks of ham.

I pulled out my handy dandy grater/slicer and sliced the potatoes in a ridiculously short time. Each and every slice was perfectly uniform which makes the baking time a breeze.


The end product was delicious and the besamel sauce held together 
very well.


 The potatoes were thinly sliced and perfect for this type of dish.

The onions were so thin that they baked down to nearly nothing,the slicer made easy work of this and I loved the uniformity of the slices.

 

4 comments:

On Crooked Creek said...

Miss Char,
Thanks for sharing your success story with your new kitchen gagdet!!! The look of your recipe turned out delicious, indeed!!! Love that the potatoes are uniformly sliced!!!
Years ago, I received a gift that was suppose to make french fries in a snap. Well, they didn't...I couldn't even push the top down through the potatoes...so I guess you know where that thing went???
Fondly,
Pat
P.S. I have a little bitty blog, too!!! I like it that way! :)

Debbie said...

Just getting to this. I'm not a huge gadget buyer even though I'm really drawn to them. I'm just cheap and always talk myself out of it. This one is definitely worth a second look, though, because that's an area (grating, slicing,etc.) where I could use some help. I'll have to check out the recipe too. My mother makes the best scalloped potatoes in the world, but my sister and I are convinced that she is holding back something from her recipe on us because ours never tastes as good as hers.

Maybe if I use a nifty slicer...

Miss Kitty said...

That gizmo sounds great! I am pretty much drawn to any recipe that has "Southern" in the title...this one sounds so good. My husband and I are both on diets so I am not cooking that much right now but I hope to try this recipe sometime in the future. thanks for sharing all that great information with us.

Rettabug said...

Well, I'm impressed! It looks like a pared down version of a mandolin. Just watch your fingers...remember when I sliced off a sm. sliver of my pinkie finger with mine? Ouch!

The recipe is the same as my Moms. *big grin*